Apr 27, 2010

Day 7: I am accountable

Can I tell you a little secret? I'm kind of a dork. (Ok, so that might not be a secret). I totally geek it up when it comes to goals, and one of my favorite methods to monitor my progress is through my "accountability chart."

When I was child my parents had us report daily if we 1. said our prayers 2. made our bed 3. did our chores. They had a chart and would check off our tasks every night, insuring we were held accountable. I've carried this practice into my adult years, although my accountability chart is slightly more complicated now. I've done this on and off for several years and have learned that if I have too many tasks, checking them off becomes a daunting chore. I've developed my well-balanced chart for these 90 days, and I've broken it down into 10-day increments, rather than a week at a time. I used to do 30-day charts, but found that 10-days is a better length, as it's long enough to push me (versus 7) but not so long I lose my focus.

TODAY'S FOCUS: Set one goal and write it down. Break it down into the weekly, daily and even hourly requirements necessary to achieve it - then put it somewhere you'll see it often. (hint,hint... The fridge). If you're feeling brave, make an accountability chart with 5-10 things you'd like to focus on daily, and hold yourself to it, even if only for 5 days. The beauty of a chart is it keeps you not only accountable, but focused. Whenever I have a lull in my day I look over my chart and see what I have left to do, then get back on the horse and act with intent. It's been said that goals are dreams with deadlines, so plan your work and work your plan. :) .... So I'm a bit cheesy. lol Hey, I warned you I'm a dork!

QUOTE: "If you want to live a happy life, tie it to a goal, not to people or things." - Albert Einstein.

1 comment: