Jul 5, 2010

Day 76: The importance of a clean home

I had a simple day. I played with Gracie when she was awake and wrote when she was asleep. I didn't exercise and, in fact, I didn't even get ready for the day. "While I'm at it," I thought, "I might as well let the house go messy. I'll clean it tomorrow." A friend called and asked me to dinner. "Sorry, I can't. I'm in my pj's and refuse to get dressed. Today I'm bumming it, and in a few hours I'll just be back in bed anyway," I feigned embarrassment, while proudly relaxing. The decision was made and I was not budging. That is.... until 7:00pm.

I couldn't take it anymore, and decided I should at-least put away the clean dishes. Before I knew it I'd cleaned the main level and found myself starting on the dreaded basement. I've so much left to organize, but found pleasure in throwing away my x-husbands golf magazines and the dried flower arrangement from my 5-year anniversary. Life is less cluttered and I'm feeling a bit more organized. I'm glad I didn't wait until tomorrow.

TODAY'S FOCUS: There is a peace of mind, satisfaction and confidence that comes with a clean home and welcoming environment. It does wonders for the psyche. The numerous physical and emotional benefits are obvious, but one that is often overlooked is the fact that a well-kept home demonstrates self-regulation - the ability to set aside excuses and behave in accordance with order and goals, regardless of current emotions or circumstances. Self-regulation in one arena trickles down into others, so begin in the place that affects every member of the family. The home. This is not to demand a perfect home or ask for more than you can do, but if efforts are made daily and a routine adhered to, order can be found and a haven maintained.

QUOTE: "Order is Heaven's first law." -Alexander Pope

4 comments:

  1. I always remember the scripture in D&C that says "My house is a...house of order." My mom used to be OCD about a clean house, and because of that, I am a bit over the top, too. However, with 3 little kids, keeping it up is getting exhausting! We have fallen behind, and spent the major portion of yesterday catching up...but when the kids were in bed and I was heading there, I walked around each room, admiring and savoring the cleanliness and order of them. I felt so peaceful. The Spirit is more abundant in our home when it is clean and organized...and a spirit of frenzy reigns when my house reflects that chaos. Some of my friends think I'm crazy, but now that you said that "a well-kept home demonstrates self-regulation" it makes me feel better about my OCD-ness! :) Not to mention how grateful I am when an unexpected visitor comes by and my house is clean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalie I love this blog! I really never look at blogs anymore except for this one. You have such a good way with words and I love seeing how far you have come! I look up to you a ton! Keep up the good work and keep up the running because you look HOT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natalie, I know exactly how this feels! Every time I decide to have a lazy day, 6:00 or 7:00 hits and I'm up, being Senor Productive. It's a strange feeling but I almost wonder if the complete, momentary rest from all responsibility does well to kick start the to-do mentality.

    ReplyDelete