Jul 1, 2010

Day 72: A season for all things

Today was chill. I know what you're thinking: "Did she really just say chill?" and the answer is yes. Yes I did. Sometimes a throwback to the 90's is necessary.

After a great lunch with Stellar-Steve, I was walking to my car when I asked myself, "Why am I in such a hurry to get home? I should enjoy this weather... my to-do list can wait." And so it did. I spent the next hour at temple square, sitting in the smoldering heat, quietly observing the new brides and their families. A different couple arrived every 10 minutes, the excitement palpable as they began their new life together. I imagined the story behind each bride and groom - their miraculous meeting and romantic courtship, the patience and discipline they exercised to make it to the temple, and the reward in knowing they did so worthily (or regret in knowing they didn't). I resisted the temptation to sneak into photos and, instead, eavesdropped on a group of bridesmaids discussing which brides looked timeless and which would regret her trendy dress ten years from now. I wondered which would regret more than her dress. Perhaps I'm jaded.

I watched the happy new beginnings in envy of their day and fear of their future, simultaneously realizing how far away my own day must be. I know the challenges that come with marriage, but I also know the rewards. Strangely, I miss both, yet I'm ready for neither. The timing is off. I wish it weren't so. I'm in the season of dating again, loving again and trusting again. My day will come, but until then I must be honest with myself, maintain patience, and spend today focusing on improving myself so I can ensure a healthy future with another, reminding myself that the preparation will be worth it.

TODAY'S FOCUS: Resist the urge to rush today, in anticipation for tomorrow. From developing a talent to building a business, a strong foudation takes time, yet provides priceless strength. Practice delayed gratification and strive to make the most of your current season, trusting that your foundation will be properly laid and your patience will be rewarded.

QUOTE: "Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each." -Henry David Thoreau

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the reminder - I am having to learn to delay gratification when it comes to buying things I want NOw!, not later! It will be worth it - for both of us! :)

    ReplyDelete