Jul 9, 2010

Day 80: 10 days left

As my 90 days draw to a close, I find myself in a sort of sad haze, knowing I will no-longer be accountable for a daily record. I remember around day 10, a quiet panic set in as I thought to myself, "I have 80 days to go. What if I run out of things to write about?" Now, with only 10 days left, I've found myself with more topics than I have days. I am left both satisfied and surprised.

Writing has proven most therapeutic, and doing so every day has admittedly influenced how I think and act, knowing that I'm expected to find a lesson out of each day, no matter how good or bad. Often, finding a lesson has required immense stretching and creativity, but my self-imposed obligation always found a way to meet the challenge. I'm not sure the results were always great... but the effort was always made. lol Interesting, the things we can accomplish when we have to.

TODAY'S FOCUS: We do what we must to do, we get we must have, and we are who we must be - because what we should do, should have and should be lacks power and purpose. The very word, "should" is based on contingency and conditionality. For most, should is simply an idiom for "no one is demanding it of me, so I won't demand it of myself." As each should passes us by, we lose the opportunity to become what we might have been or, as Tony Robbins puts it, "We should all over ourselves." (Read it out-loud, you'll get it). On the other hand, when we live up to our privileges and convert our most important shoulds into musts... we gain confidence and are empowered.

Greatness is found by raising our standards, changing what we demand of ourselves, and determining what we will no longer tolerate, and what we want to become. It is found by consistently doing the things we demand of ourselves, because only we know whether or not we're stretching to reach our full potential.

Whether it's to exercise, manage your finances, read your scriptures, or share more quality time with your children... take a moment to write down a list of your shoulds, then pick your top three, recognize the the pain attached by NOT meeting them, and determine to make them musts. Why not start today? You really should. Must.

QUOTE: "You see, in life, lots of people know what to do, but few people actually do what they know. Knowing is not enough! You must take action!" - Anthony Robbins

No comments:

Post a Comment