May 12, 2010

Day 22: Sacrificing false comfort

Why is it that the moment I sit down to blog I feel like I'm in a confessional? Ok, I've never actually been in a confessional, but I imagine this is what it would feel like. I can't NOT share my failures, otherwise this journey would not be honest. The truth is, by being overt I hope to preserve my integrity while palliating my hypocrisy. Hey, I'm the first to admit it's there, but I try, really I do!

Today I was running errands and decided to drop by to see my friend and try, once more, to be "just friends." Yup - not happening. I know, I know, I should be ashamed, but at this point I just shake my head and roll my eyes. Whattya do? I can beat myself up, but instead I'll just learn, get back on the horse and admit that being "just friends" ain't gonna happen.

I can resist for months, but once I decide to like someone I lay all my cards on the table and go all-in, no bluffing. I fall in love, and hard. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, but I'm in no place to be doing so right now. It's what I want, but certainly not what I need. I need to heal and, unfortunately, time is the necessity to do so, NOT a man. I need to spend this precious time seeking truth, not comfort, of which I must remind myself daily.

TODAY'S FOCUS: Do you dabble, or even bask, in a false sense of comfort? Where do you turn when you feel stressed, alone or in pain? If it's a counter-productive or a destructive source, perhaps it's time step back and analyze your reasons, rather than allowing yourself to be a victim of circumstance. Ask better questions, seek truthful answers, act on your discoveries and trust that as you uncover truth, comfort -true comfort- will find you. This is not easy, and requires the sacrifice of instant gratification, but any worthy reward is worth the sacrifice.

QUOTE: "If you look for truth you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis

2 comments:

  1. "I can resist for months, but once I decide to like someone I lay all my cards on the table and go all-in, no bluffing."

    And I always thought that was just me. I can certainly see where you're coming from, and I admire you for being so steadfast in your convictions. Good job!

    Comfort vs Truth: In my own personal experience, I think the emptiness and despair that befall us at times (especially during or after a divorce) are necessary to realize certain things about us...the hard way. Perhaps I'm weak, but at some point I had to admit to myself that some comfort was necessary to prevent myself from going crazy and turning into an anxiety-ridden vegetable. That's just me, though, and I am always glad to learn how different people deal with all this.

    By the way, your "confessions" are very insightful and helpful to others. Keep it up, sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true - how divorce teaches us about ourselves the hard way! It has been an adventure, to say the least.

    I think we all need comfort. I should have clarified that I'm not opposed to seeking comfort, I just feel it needs to be TRUE sources of comfort, rather than false - which requires much more work to find than its transitory counterpart. :) FOR ME... writing, girlfriends and being productive have proven to be great sources of comfort.

    ReplyDelete