May 21, 2010

Day 31: Commit to an outcome, not the process

I can't believe I'm already into month two! Keeping track of my daily thoughts and progress is proving helpful, as I realize exactly how long I can go with a perfect record. Not very long. lol The good news is, I'm still here and I'm still trying. (Of-course I am. I'm far too stubborn to quit).

This period I hit my required 75% success rate, in accountability. Woot woot! 85% would be better. The killer? Going to bed by 11pm? I've only accomplished this 5 times in 30 days. I might have to change it to midnight so it's SOMEWHAT realistic. Either way, I hit the 75% required so I rewarded myself by buying sparring gear. Fight, fight, fight, fight! (Said in a taunting tone, not to be confused with a cheer-leading tone).

I'm finding what works and what doesn't work, and adjusting my goals and plans accordingly.

TODAY'S FOCUS: I read a great article on how will power alone is never enough to produce long-term success. It goes through 10 necessary steps to create change, my favorite of which is to, "Commit to an outcome, not the process."

It reads, "On your path towards your outcome you may need to change the process a hundred times. It shouldn’t matter. The only thing that matters is that you achieve the outcome. If, for example, you want to lose 30 lbs and you join weightwatchers or try a certain diet and two weeks later you find out it’s not working for you, don’t give up on your outcome - perhaps the method you tried is simply not the best one. Adjust your course, keep your outcome and vision in front of you and don’t give up on the vision."

QUOTE: “It is not enough to do your best; you must know what to do, and then do your best." -W. Edwards Deming

1 comment:

  1. That's a great article you're referring to, and it makes for great food for thought while cleaning the house and doing Saturday chores. Thank you.

    http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/s/I+Love+My+Shirt/2DiLpw

    ReplyDelete