May 27, 2010

Day 37: The need to need

Life is funny. One second I'm on top of the world and the next second I'm consumed with discouragement, as my faults thrash at my confidence, reminding me how far I have to go to become the woman I'd like to be. Today was one of those days. I attribute it to over-thinking, spending too much time picking apart the negative details and over-analyzing my weaknesses. It's an easy trap to fall into.

All day I was looking forward to being with Stellar-Steve, but when he finally arrived I was in an overt mood of despondency. This was reflected in my lack of enthusiasm at his arrival, but rather than showing disappointment in his missed expectations, he went right to work to understand and console me, assuaging my disheartened condition. In mere moments I found immense comfort, and the grief and worries of my day began to subside, settling quietly in the background.

I was left with a full heart, grateful for the amazing friend I have in him, and astonished at the impact he's had on me. It's humbling to feel the love and influence of great people in my life. I am blessed.

TODAY'S FOCUS: Allow, invite, and embrace great people into your life: People who lift you when you're down, carry you while you're weak, and hold you when you cry. Serve and build those around you, but realize that sometimes it's ok, and even necessary, to allow another to do the same for you. We need each-other. No man is an island, and our interconnected state is the very factor that enables a full measure of fulfillment at the end of the day. We're not meant to do this alone... so stop trying.

QUOTE: "The person who tries to live alone will not succeed as a human being. His heart withers if it does not answer another heart. His mind shrinks away if he hears only the echoes of his own thoughts and finds no other inspiration." -Pearl S. Buck

1 comment:

  1. That's a beautiful quote you added today.


    And when you ever have a moment when nothing around or within you seems to make sense (not saying you ever had one of those), imagine yourself singing this song:

    C & T

    ReplyDelete