May 19, 2010

Day 29: Smile over small things

Isn't it interesting how quickly a day can go from good to bad, or (more rarely) bad to good? Today I had one of those "rare" days. It began with a little self-loathing. Just a little. Then it turned into disgust over my self-loathing. Then it turned into self-loathing over my disgust of self-loathing. Ok, I'm kidding about the last one.... but seriously. ;)

I made a decision that enough was enough and I was not going to waste another minute of such a beautiful, sunny day. After-all... tomorrow, today will become yesterday, and nobody likes a gloomy yesterday.

I decided to change the direction of my day by going for a run. As I stepped out my front door I immediately felt the sun-rays beating down on my legs. I consciously paused, my hand still on the doorknob, and savored the moment. I smiled. It was the first time in five years I've ran in shorts. (Yes, I'm blinding white. I know you were wondering). The run served as a flawless antidote for my despondency, as the warmth of the sun enveloped the cold I had experienced all morning. I smiled again. I paid special attention to the snow-capped mountains ahead of me, admiring the banter held between the sun and each settled snow-flake. The bright beauty emitted brought a smile to my face. I got home, showered and 10 minutes later went to dinner with a girlfriend. We ate outside, enjoying a modest meal and an engaging conversation, all while soaking up the sun. Perfectly content, I smiled. I drove to my soccer game, blasted some great music, and sang at the top of my lungs, smiling the entire time.

Today is over, and tomorrow, I can say yesterday was fulfilling. Tonight, I'm going to sleep with a smile.

TODAY'S FOCUS: Decide to enjoy today... TODAY! Despite what happened yesterday or what may come tomorrow, savor today and press forward with a resolute endurance. Relish the small pleasures and never relinquish a smile. As we live our best today, we will never be plagued with regrets of yesterday, so decide to enjoy small pleasures, then do so in happy fortitude.

QUOTE: "Life is made up of small pleasures. Happiness is made up of those tiny successes. The big ones come too infrequently. And if you don't collect all these tiny successes, the big ones don't really mean anything." - Norman Lear

3 comments:

  1. Glad to know you made it to Day 29. (Was a bit worried when Day 28 never showed up.)

    And at the risk of coming across as old and outdated:


    Accentuate the Positive

    http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/s/Accentuate+The+Positive/Bh7GK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew Sisters. Niiiiice. :) Never heard that song but LOVE the happy feel! Great way to start my day. Also thanks for the advice on library stuff, I'll go that route for sure.

    ReplyDelete