Jun 3, 2010

Day 44: Procrastination: A favorite form of self-sabotage

4am is finally catching up to me. It's not that I want to stay up 'till 4... it's just that my mind won't let me sleep. Last night was one of those nights, so today I decided I would do next-to-nothing and just enjoy some "time off" of life. I don't know why I thought that would be a good idea.

I found myself lying in bed all day, trying to catch up on my blog while eating chocolate chips and starbursts. Sounds fulfilling, I know. lol. (ironic, that is exactly what I'm doing this moment). Naturally I felt like crap, decided to call my day a wash and go to bed early for once in my life - and by early I mean 6pm. I was SO tired and had no motivation to do anything. Just then Stellar-Steve called and asked what I was doing. "Nothing. Laying in bed. You?" "Just heading out the door for my run." he replied. "I should go running." I said, somewhat defeated. "You should! Do it. Hurry and get ready, we'll run at the same time." I laughed, but his enthusiasm sparked something in me and two minutes later I found myself in running clothes, stupefied over his great influence. I'll admit, I didn't find the ambition to do my usual 5 miles... but 4 was good enough. lol (is it weird that I always "lol" on my blog? .... hu.) I got home and went right to work cleaning my house while listening to an audiobook. I even mopped. :)

I got so much done tonight - all things I was procrastinating and planned on doing tomorrow. My burden is now lighter, thanks to the motivation my Steve sparked. It's both refreshing and eye-opening to be with someone who lifts me in every facet of life. I am blessed.

TODAY'S FOCUS: Never put off until tomorrow what can be done today. Ok, I'm the first to admit I don't practice what I preach here, but I can certainly attest to the draining affects and heavy toll procrastination can take on your life. It's been described as many things: "thief of time, opportunity's natural assassin, and favorite form of self-sabotage," but no matter how you look at it, putting off today's duties until tomorrow only doubles our burden to bear, and that burden can get pretty weighty pretty quick. The best way to get something done is to begin... and if you have a friend that motivates you to begin... even better!

QUOTE: "To think too long about doing a thing often becomes its undoing." -Eva Young

No comments:

Post a Comment