Jun 26, 2010

Day 67: Look ahead and press to your new target

Today I ran. Far. Twelve miles, to be exact. No, not for fun! I'm training for a marathon, so long runs have become a necessary evil. I'm always inspired by the lessons gleaned while pursuing that which requires discipline. Whether it be learning the violin or throwing a football, perfecting a pirouette or mastering guitar hero (omit that), there are lessons to learn and analogies to draw from. That's one reason I love running.

The run was long, and I had several moments where I was tempted to stop altogether, feeling I could not take another step. In an effort to give one last push I would focus on a target ahead and resolve to run until I reached it, as I do on every run. As I hit my goal I would repeat the process, and repeat it again, until my desire to quit was overcome.

I must admit, today's workout took longer than I would have liked, and I couldn't help but think of "better" things I could be doing with my time. I had to remind myself, over and over, that great things take time and patience - so that's exactly what I gave. As I ignored the looming finish-line and, instead, focused on the mile in front of me, I found increased confidence, hope and, before I knew it, had finished my twelve miles. Literally, one step at a time.

TODAY'S FOCUS: Though we should look ahead, trying to look further than we can see produces discouragement - nourishing an inflated, intimidating and distorted view of our desired outcome. The trick is setting a goal, then reaching milestones along the way to achieving it. Then, when we think we can't take another step, choose the smallest of targets and hit it, then do it again.

Whether the goal is 1 mile or 26.1, taking one step at a time is a sure way to build "endurance" and spur one onward.

QUOTE: "The secret of getting ahead is getting started. The secret of getting started is breaking your complex overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks, and then starting on the first one." -Mark Twain

No comments:

Post a Comment