Jun 8, 2010

Day 49: The reward of postive approach

I don't know what's gotten into me, but I'm pretty sure I've eaten 8000 calories a day, the last 3 days. Sounds healthy, right? This morning I woke up, gave myself the "we're-gonna-eat-healthy" pep talk, and five minutes later finished breakfast, consisting of smiley-faced gummies, french-silk pie and handfuls of shredded coconut with butterscotch chips. Next I meandered into my basement and ransacked my treat drawer, eating enough startbursts and rolos to make even Kirstie Alley ashamed (bless her heart). I opened my pantry and devoured the unsuspecting goldfish and animal crackers. They didn't stand a chance. I knew, even as I was eating, that I was gonna hate myself if I didn't go running, so I put on my gear and reluctantly headed out the door.

I usually enjoy my run, but today that was far from the case. Instead of relishing in the positive energy I usually feel, I was consumed with guilt and negativity, my motivation to run derived from self-punishment. It was the longest, most unrewarding five miles I've ever experienced. During it, Stellar-Steve sent me a text, suggesting we go on a run after work. "Sure," I thought. "I could use the extra exercise."

Through-out the day my mood lifted, and as I completed my evening run with Steve I was surprised to find myself happy, rejuvenated and full of self-love - a far cry from this morning's experience.

TODAY'S FOCUS: Interesting how the exact same task can leave us unfulfilled or completley satisfied, depending on our approach to it. Our motivation might be to avoid pain or to produce pleasure, but in either case, the doing needs done so you might as well focus on the reward and press forward, because positive thinking will always produce better results than the alternative.

QUOTE: “There is little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference. The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative." -W. Clement Stone

No comments:

Post a Comment