Jun 18, 2010

Day 59: To overcome the humdrum...

Tonight I went country dancing with some girlfriends. I haven't danced in nearly 9 years, and almost forgot how fun it is. I had a great time, laughed much and even made some new friends. Though I longed to be with Stellar-Steve, I convinced myself that time with the ladies was healthy and exactly what I needed. I was right.

I often ask myself, "What could I have done differently in my marriage?" Whether it would or wouldn't have changed outcome... the question has provided an enlightening journey of self-discovery. One answer, is that I would've had closer girlfriends and been more highly involved in my own interests. Since my divorce I've focused on doing just that and, though it has required a conscious effort and stepping out of my comfort zone, it has proven rewarding.

TODAY'S FOCUS: Pursue a new interest. Take up quilting, join a softball league or learn a foreign language. There is strength in being your own person, having your own interests and getting involved in your own hobbies. It certainly takes effort, but keeps life fresh and interesting, helping you avoid the trap of the every day humdrum. Not only will you experience fulfillment, but you'll become more interesting... and everybody is drawn to an interesting person. Simple as that. Interesting.

QUOTE: "Today is life - the only life you are sure of. Make the most of today. Get interested in something. Shake yourself awake. Develop a hobby. Let the winds of enthusiasm sweep through you. Live today with gusto." -Dale Carnegie

2 comments:

  1. I fully agree with your statement "I would've had closer girlfriends and been more highly involved in my own interests."

    Someone came and spoke to our stake about marriage and he said about the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just starting to do that very thing - it's very rewarding! Especially when it's been a rough day with the kids!

    ReplyDelete