Jun 7, 2010

Day 48: Responsibility: The Ability to respond

I've had a long day, full of good and bad. In an effort to control of my mood, I was reading funny quotes when a friend called to ask a favor. "It's been awhile! How are you?" I asked, surprised to hear from her. "Divorced, but other than that I'm good." My heart dropped and tears welled up, as the tone in her voice clearly trivialized her broken marriage.

I hung up the phone, discouraged, when it rang in my hand. It was Stellar-Steve. I wanted to be positive... but I just couldn't. After a few minutes of talking he said, "Sounds like you could use an almond joy." Right then my doorbell rang and there he stood, smiling, with an almond joy in his hand. He had driven an hour just to give me a candy bar (ok he also might have wanted to see me). His timing was impeccable, and as I threw my arms around his neck I couldn't help but cry. I'm sure it's not the welcome he'd hoped for, nevertheless, he showed selfless empathy, and his presence provided comfort in my exact moment of need. What a perfect surprise.

I have had three friends divorce since mine, and every time it hits a little too close to home. Seeing the deceit so many fall into leaves me heartbroken and riled up. I was having one of these moments when I realized I was destroying a great memory-in-progress by letting my sorrow consume me, when I could have been relishing in Steve's surprise visit. I admitted I was helping no-one, reluctantly let go of my anguish, gathered my composure and chose to let go of all frustrations. Once I was in control of my re-action, I was able to savor the moment and create a memory that ended my day beautifully.

TODAY'S FOCUS: We can not control the actions of another but, ironically, when we re-act in a negative way to their choices, we allow them to control us. Monitor your reactions, take responsibility for your ability to respond, then make changes accordingly. As we improve our reactions, we improve our present moment... and as we improve our present moment we create a past we can look back on with a smile.

QUOTE: "You must take responsibility. You cannot change the circumstances, the seasons, or the wind, but you can change yourself. That is something you have charge of." -Jim Rohn

3 comments:

  1. Natalie, thank you for being so candid and honest in your writing. Every day I look forward to your words of wisdom, and hope that I can remember them when it's hard, so that I can work on becoming a better person. Thank you for sharing.
    Also, I am just wondering where you get your quotes? They are all so good, and somehow, all seem to apply to my life so well! :) Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as today's quote, wow!

    It's one thing to look at things rationally and objectively, and it's another to be in the thick of it, trying to remember what "the right thing" to do and think is. At least, that's what I've experienced in the last few months.

    PS: Could you send Stellar Steve by my place with another Almond Joy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jen - I appreciate the compliment, but hope you don't mistake my words for my actions. lol. I, too, hope I can remember them when things get hard. ;)

    I get my quotes from books I've read, my quote file, and (mostly) the internet. Thinkexist.com is my favorite site.

    ReplyDelete