Jun 4, 2010

Day 45: Earning Self-Confidence

Today was my non-fabulous day. (Great name, eh? I stole it from a friend). You know... the day I catch up on life and give my attention to non-fabulous things like laundry, cleaning my fridge, paying bills, making phone calls and running errands. These ugly chores were the last thing I wanted to do... which was my very reason to do them. As I was completing my daily run (which I also didn't want to do) I was reminded of how great it feels to push through lazy tendencies and, instead, find discipline to meet the expectations I have of myself. This spurred me on to continue this pattern when I got home, and I ended my day on a high and productive note - a most rewarding experience.

Oh, the sense of accomplishment achieved in tackling something you don't want to do. I seem to breathe a little deeper, stand a little taller and focus a little sharper on where I'm going, who I am and what I want.

TODAY'S FOCUS: Nothing builds self-confidence quite like accomplishment. Self-esteem is earned, and not the result of validation from those around your or the love you receive from another. It's derived from being your best self and knowing that you're giving life your all - especially in those moments when it's the last thing you want to do.

QUOTE: "In my day, we didn't have self-esteem, we had self-respect, and no more of it than we had earned." -Jane Haddam

No comments:

Post a Comment