Jun 10, 2010

Day 51: Forget what fell behind and focus on what lies ahead

Today my x-husband picked up our daughter and, for a brief moment, I missed the comfort and ease of the relationship we had established over our years together. I suddenly felt overwhelmed with the fact that I have to start over, and caught a glimpse as to why so many people go back to their x. It's the familiar, comfortable thing to do. Fortunately, I understand that the path of comfort rarely gets anyone anywhere.

As past hurt swept over me, I knelt to pray for comfort and, in no less than one minute, the phone rang. It was my mom. Ten seconds later it beeped, and there was Stellar-Steve. Impressive! Only seconds behind a mother's intuition. I let my mom off the hook (no pun intended) and switched over to Steve. He listened lovingly and said all the right words, ensuring the conversation ended with a smile on my face and hope in my heart.

Though I've lost what was once familiar, I'm enjoying this foreign journey and all the growth that has come with it; a generous trade-off to say the least.

TODAY'S FOCUS: In focusing on what we've lost, we rob ourselves of this moment's opportunity to gain. Look ahead and press forward with confidence, because pining over the past is detrimental to growth, healing and happiness. Learn from experience and then use that knowledge in the here and now, trusting that it will lead you to the beautiful future awaiting. The road ahead may be uncertain, but in refusing to travel it, the road behind was taken in vain.

QUOTE: "What you need to know about the past is that no matter what has happened, it has all worked together to bring you to this very moment. And this is the moment you can choose to make everything new. Right now." -Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment